Personal Statement Guidelines and Information
You will be required to upload a Personal Statement as part of the NursingCAS BSN application. The Personal Statement Instructions are listed below.
Applicants are required to submit a personal statement that expresses their interest in the nursing career field. The goal of this personal statement is to share with the Admissions Committee your goals during your nursing education/career and to show you are a highly qualified applicant and compassionate student prepared to enter a nursing education and career. Your statement should also address why we should select you as one of the top 100 students for the Fall 2024 semester. Your statement must address all of the following 4 questions:
- Why are you choosing nursing as your profession?
- Why have you chosen to apply to St. David’s School of Nursing at Texas State University?
- Why should St. David’s School of Nursing consider you for admission?
- How do you plan to prioritize and meet the extensive full-time program requirements while also managing your time, responsibilities, and personal obligations over the 5-semester program?
Formatting Guidelines and Instructions:
- Please limit your statement to 5000 characters maximum (spaces not included) using the word count tool in Microsoft Word.
- Please double space your statement with 1” margins, (approx. 3 pages).
- Please use either Times New Roman or Arial 12pt font.
- Please write your statement in first person format.
- Please DO NOT put your name or any personal identifying items in your statement. These will be reviewed by the admissions committee anonymously.
- Please convert your statement to PDF format and upload a copy with your application documents.
Your personal statement will be screened and scored for the following:
- Passion and desire for nursing career
- Completeness and organization of essay
- Spelling and grammar
- Readability with clear, concise, and well-developed paragraphs answering all 4 questions thoroughly
- The ability to listen and follow instructions and structure guidelines